Friday, February 27, 2009

Brothers & Sisters: the 2-hr Movie Event!


I love love LOVE Brothers & Sisters. Hands-down it's my favorite primetime show on network TV right now, and on my list of all-time favorite shows EVER. It's one of very few that comes close to meeting my ideals of equality and tolerance in America, right up there with Northern Exposure and The Cosby Show. And it's damn funny.

This Sunday, B&S is getting what ABC has been hyping as a "2-hr Movie Event." The promo alone is, well, oh so dramatic -- will someone really die? Uh-huh. You can almost hear the promo people winking.

All of this is rather unlike the subtle, beautifully acted, down-to-earth, socially-minded show I am obsessed with. Still, aside from the pretty consistent Sally Field/Rachel Griffiths awards exposure, B&S is often largely ignored, even by its own network. (Because Grey's, DH, & Lost are all just a bit more, you know -- consumable.)

But, as a fan who wants her show to stick around into a 4th season, I can't always take the high road. So I'm all for this "Movie Event" if it means my B&S getting a little love for a change. Usually, I'm stuck waiting for a lightning-quick verbal blurb at the tail-end of a Desperate Housewives promo just to make sure it still exists. Well, not this week because B&S is taking over the DH timeslot completely! Wahoo!

I do have to say though, I think the inclusion of the word "movie" here is a little silly. Is it going to be commercial-free? Will it be shown in widescreen? Somehow, I think not. But if the ratings are high, the action is riveting, and I'm glued to my seat, I guess it's okay.

Watch the promo here. For speculation on who might be kicking the bucket, check out Terri's analyses at Watching B&S.

No comments:

Post a Comment